Monday, March 25, 2013

Brothers!

You know what makes life really worth all the tough struggles, the bad days, the PMS, the bickering, the pain, the sleepless nights. Its the good things that happened to you.
Its a horrible cliche, not worth a blog post at all. But I was especially blue today. And I realized, the thing that brought me out of my misery was remembering all the good things, all the precious things in my life


See what I mean! 



The most precious memory I have is of my baby brother's gummy smile as he pointed at me and said ggaggag (his first attempt to say my name). It made me hysterically happy then, It makes me smile loopy today; and I am confident it will make me happy tomorrow too.





Brothers are obnoxious. Mine is. He is the worst kinda pain in the ass. He makes fun of me, he annoys me, irritates me, loots me dry,  misplaces my books, ruins my whites by pushing in a red tee in the middle of a white wash cycle and turning it all to pink, he hits me hard enough to give me a nasty bruise, basically he does all the things that make me want to kill him, or wish.... that either I was adopted or he was!

But he also misses me when I'm gone, he pulls up the comforter over me when I fall asleep on the couch, he makes soup(admittedly very bad soup, but the effort counts!) when I get sick.
He gives me a hug when I really need one, He makes me smile through my tears, He makes me feel like I am the most perfect sister in the world.

And that is enough.

I remember how it felt having his plump baby hands hold my face, his beautiful gummy smile, and his wonderful sweetness.
Most of it is still there, though no more baby hands, (he has the hands of an ape!) he still smiles like he's the angel Gabriel smiling down at a lowly mortal, and he still is wonderfully sweet.

Life is so much more because he is in it. 
Brothers are special. Mine is extra special, not in a disabled way, but because he brightens up my day even by being awfully grumpy. 

I love his grumpy, grunting moods where he gives me a look that says You-exasperate-me-to-the-point-of-suicide.
I love his sarcastic, smartass moods where He exasperates me to the point of suicide. 
But most of all, I love having him in my life. He is the most precious gift my parents gave me. 

And today, when I am 26 and he is 19, I think of all the times he's made me laugh, he's wiped my tears, he's been worried for his big sister; I think of all those days when coming home from school I knew I'd find this kid running around the house in his underwear, driving grandma up the wall and it still makes me grin that loopy grin.

HE is a forever memory, that scrawny kid trying to avoid a bath. 
That kid in the balcony screaming the stupid 90's songs at everyone on the street.
The kid in superman pajamas telling me about how superman has to be real.
And my favorite moment, that skinny 4 year old giving me the tightest hug and telling me I am the best sister in the world and he will love me forever.


My kid brother makes my life brighter. without saying a single word. He also makes me smarter because he shares his knowledge with me.
But most of all, He makes me smile, on all my blue days. 


This post is for my brother, who is also my best friend and my best playmate, and a very real, very tough intellectual opponent. 
This is for that person I lean on every time I need some support.
This is for the most precious relationship in my life, that of a sister and a brother. 


"Though I know I'll never lose affection 
For people and things that went before 
I know I'll often stop and think about them 
In my life I love you more "

No comments:

Post a Comment